Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Confidentiality vs marketing


I've been providing litigation support services for more than 15 years. In all that time I have worked on innumerable cases that are / were on the front page of the national papers or are the flavor of the day on the nightly news. These cases may have involved Tobacco; Finance; Construction; Mergers and Aquisitions, Corrupt Politicians; or sometimes even a poor celebrity who has run afould of the law. Whatever the situation the bottom line is that I cannot talk about the details. Heck, I don't want to even talk about who I am working for or what is involved in broad general terms. At times I have stopped reading the paper when working on a high profile case. Its just easier that way...I don't need to know the backstory.

Lawyers are often required by law to keep confidential anything pertaining to the representation of a client. The duty of confidentiality is much broader than the attorney-client evidentiary privilege, which only covers communications between the attorney and the client. Superior Document Services has in a sense evolved into a legal "Switzerland". We understand that every client; has a right to privacy and confidentiality. We are impartial to a fault and fastidious in our protection of our clients and their cient's identities.

Superior Document Services has no exterior signage beckoning the general public; a locked secure facility and digital camera's at each and every point of egress and ingress. More importantly I have many trusted long term employees bound by formal confidentiality agreements. The bottom line is "CONFIDENTIALITY IS A GIVEN"

So - this all leads to a conundrum in litigation support marketing. I can't shout from the rooftops that I did ALL the ediscovery work on the Exxon Valdez lawsuits ( I didn't ) without violating; in my mind at least, the implied trust. So as you can see by the above picture published by the AP; Superior Document Services got some free publicity the other day during the trial of a major major ex NFL star. I still am thrilled when I see someone carrying a box with my Superior logo down the street so as you can imagine I was ecstatic when I got calls from friends that our boxes were prominently featured on both local and national tv news.

After some internal personal debate - I'm posting the picture here. I think its pretty ...err, cool?

No comments: